What’s eAccelerator :
Before installing let me give you a brief on eAccelerator and how to install it in cPanel. eAccelerator was born in December 2004 as a fork of the Turck MMCache project.
- It is a free open-source PHP accelerator & optimizer
- Increases the performance of PHP scripts
- Free to use and distribute
- Improve performance by re-using compiled PHP scripts
- Eliminates performance overhead of repeated parsing and compilation
- Files that can’t fit in shared memory are cached on disk.
To install eAccelerator in cPanel you will need a dedicated server environment because it requires global server changes. In cPanel its installation is very easy and fast.
Steps to Install:
1. Make sure PHP runs as DSO Apache module. For this, log into your WHM and go to ‘Configure PHP and SuExec’. Check and confirm that PHP 5 Handler is set to dso.
If you are just changing the Apache handler now, you may have problems with your files ownership. Before the above changes your Apache server probably runs the scripts under your user and after the change to DSO it will run the scripts under the user/group nobody. To overcome this simply change user/group of Apache server to your user. This, however, might not be suitable if there is more than one user on the server. In this case simply change the permissions of any directory where the server has to write files to 777.
2. Next log in to your server as root and execute the following :-
/scripts/phpextensionmgr install eAccelerator
Hope these steps helped you to improve your site performance using eAccelerator.
Check out our exciting blog Post: Steps to manage your skeleton directory in WHM